Monday, September 17, 2012

Everyone needs someone...

What a week it has been. Happy to say I've completely recovered from
my sickness, but Elder Thawley got the tail end of it so that was kind
of a bummer this past week, but other than that, our week has been
AWESOME!

Last P-day we found out that it was one of the young mans birthday who
we played golf with the week previously and have been able to get to
know pretty well. He plays for the Hamilton High School golf team so
we thought the last thing he would expect from us was golf balls
right?! Well, we got him 12 bright pink, lady precept balls and when he
opened them (which we wrapped in a New Era Magazine cover) he was
laughin' so hard and he has actually used them and done quite well
with them ;) The members are great here!

We've been able to meet lots of new people this week, one of
which was referred to us, by one of the members here. The lesson we had
with her REALLY opened my eyes to the importance of the gospel of
Jesus Christ and the perspective it allows us to have while we live
here on earth. This woman has a 10 year old son and has been going
through some SUPER rough times. Thank goodness that she hasn't hurt herself! 
As we taught her, you could see the hope that began to come into her eyes. The
message about Jesus Christ is not just some clever thing we talk about
or a way to trick our minds into thinking everything will be okay. The
message about Jesus Christ is as real as anything else in this world.
It's really the only thing that will save the world from calamity and
bring hope to those who are lost or have no future! We've got to
share what we have with others! If we don't, no one else will, and
there is no time to waste!

This brings me to another woman that we've been teaching. She has been
so confused with everything she has learned growing up and is just
trying to figure out just what is true and what is right. Well, she was
able to make it to church this Sunday and it was an amazing experience :) 
I don't think she stopped smilin' the entire time she was there and
everyone just enveloped her and wanted to get to know her. Fellowship
is huge in the work we do. Everyone needs someone they can rely and
lean on, especially when they are pursuing something that is entirely
new and different! So don't be offended when I come home and find
someone new to sit by at church ;) JK I will just have them sit WITH
us! So I hope y'all begin to take a look around on Sundays and find
someone who may need someone to sit with and invite them to sit with
y'all!

I don't think I mentioned last week, but President Mecham challenged
us as an entire mission to do a facebook fast! So from September
10-20, we're not using facebook AT ALL, and in those 10 days we're
reading the entire Book of Mormon! What a challenge! I think my heart
has changed because before my mission I would have said, "No way!"
but President asked me what I thought about it and I thought for like
5 seconds and said, "Shoot! Let's do it!" So I'm committed and will be
through Helaman by tonight! I tell you there is real power in reading
the Book of Mormon straight through! My testimony of the Book of
Mormon is TOTALLY different than it was just 6 days ago. I LOVE
reading it and searching for the principles that I can apply in my
life everyday! I can't wait to finish it and read it again now. I
sound insane huh?! I actually enjoy reading the scriptures now! haha

So some exciting news! I just received word the other day that Brother
Shepherd will be able to drive me down to Billings and we can go
through the temple before I go home! It's actually pretty remarkable.
I'll tell you a little about the story. So after they were baptized
and we helped them set a goal to go to the temple the following year
(this was when I first started my mission here in Hamilton) I made
them a promise that I said I wouldn't break. That promise was that I
would go through the temple with them before I went home! haha I had
no idea what I was promising! I was just brand new and just SUPER
excited. This is just a testimony that God really does answer the
desires of our hearts when we're sincere though! A year came around
and things came up in their schedule where they weren't able to make
it to the temple as a family. Well a few months later I got a message
from Brother Shepherd saying that they were going to the temple as a
family but they were going Rexburg. I begged them to come to Billings
(I was serving there at the time). But it just didn't work out for
them. So now I'm coming to a close of my mission and remembered the
promise I gave them. I asked if they could give me a ride to Billings
before I went home and we could go through then. Well they were
doubtful because Brother Shepherd's boss was taking a vacation the
same days he needed off. 
Well, to say the least, prayers are answered and we're going!!!!!!

Last thing, I had a brilliant idea that I wanted to run by y'all ;) So
the other night, Elder Thawley said, "So Elder Parr, you only have 5
more weeks of free dinners. What are you going to do when you get
home?" Good question I thought. Well I'll have moms home cooked meals
but then I thought, "Well I'll just send around a dinner calendar in
my own ward at home Elder! It will say, 'Invite Justin Parr over to
hear of all his wild adventures in Montana.'" 
He just laughed but what do you think?! Hahaha!!

I love y'all so much and I'm just so excited to be with y'all again :)

-elder parr

I attached a few pictures for y'all too!


 The fire here in Hamilton. As you can see it's SUPER
close! Now the entire town is just in a huge cloud of smoke. Just like a super thick fog, but it's smoke ;)


The famous monkey face of course with the cutest little girl ever!


Got mauled by a cat at one of lessons the other day as I reached in my
backpack to grab my scriptures. Cat was lucky I didn't kick it after!
haha


A little glimpse of sunshine yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment