Monday, August 27, 2012

:)

So this week was AMAZING! Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I
start every email out this way. Hahaa! Well, I would say the highlight of the week was on Saturday when we left at dark thirty to drive to
Helena! Luckily I didn't have to drive and got to take a little head
nod for a bit ;) Anyways we had half of our mission together in
Helena; which is always an amazing sight. What gets even better is
that Elder Neil L. Andersen, one of the apostles, came to speak to us!
Along with Elder Gonzalez and Elder Smith of the Seventy and Bishop
Cose, of the Presiding Bishopric (just newly called). What a
remarkable experience that was! To have an apostle of the Lord Jesus
Christ and others who live and serve Him in your presence. I tell you
there is nothing like it! He talked about how we need to deepen our
conversion and conviction in the Savior, Jesus Christ and begin to
"know" Him. To study His words, read about His life, memorize words He
spoke, practice what He taught, speak how He would speak, serve as He
would serve. Let me just say it was remarkable and that it made me
want to go see conference live that much more!

Elder Gonzalez talked about the important role that the Book of Mormon
should be in our lives and in sharing the gospel with others. He
brought up an interesting point. He said, "In 3 Nephi when Christ
appears to the people in America, He asks for their records and
reviews them. What other book can you say has been reviewed by the
Savior Himself? I don't know of any other." What a remarkable book!
That was witnessed to me as we met with a gentleman we had got to know
just a week previously. In our latest visit with him as we asked if He
had read the pamphlet we left him he replied, "Nawww. I don't need to
read that. I just want to talk and lift each other up and hear what
you have to share." He went on talking most of the time and showin' us
his preacher tapes he enjoys listening to and what not. Then I said,
"We would love to share something with you, for the Lord Himself. May
we read it with you?" I handed him the Book of Mormon to a specific
section and asked him if he wouldn't mind reading 2 verses. Well what
happened next was pretty neat. He read the 2 verses then paused. Then
read the rest of the column. He continued to just read until he had
finished 2 pages! We told him he could keep the Book of Mormon and he
responded, "Good, because I want to do some homework!" WHAT?!!! Just
before he had told us he didn't want to read anything from us. I
testify that the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God and that one
can really strengthen their faith and conviction of the Savior through
reading its pages, along with gaining a testimony that Joseph Smith
restored Christ's original church! I LOVE reading it every day :)

I love y’all SOOO much and love hearing about the kids first day of
school and what not! I can't wait to go to their games and practices
and have them teach me all they know from school because I've lost
EVERYTHING it seems like! Haha!

Love y’all!
-Elder Parr

p.s. Off to hike in the bitter root again!

No comments:

Post a Comment