Monday, November 7, 2011

SNOW, FOOTBALL and PRAYER

So I don't know if I'm excited to tell y'all this or not, but it snowed for the first time this week! It's a blast to see snow again, but only means winter is here and it's about to get COLD! haha Of course we're out rain, snow, shine or whatever so I'm just glad it will be snowing and not raining and getting us soaked ;) haha always got to look on the bright side!

Timberview Varsity O-Line 2008-09
 Well I've pondered about what I might tell y'all this week and today  has a lot of meaning for me. I don't know if anyone else remembers,  but 3 years ago I blew my knee out playing football. Of course I'm fine now, but over these past 3 years I've thought about what this event has done for me. At first glance I thought it was devastating and horrible, but now when I look back I'm grateful and can't help but smile :) You may wonder why. There are many reasons, but I wanted to share just 2 with you today.


First off it changed my whole perspective on life. I had taken life for granted and never cherished each day I had before me. I can honestly say I didn't do very much to strengthen my relationship with God. I began to drift away. Thinking I was fine, but really caught in the current of the sea and carried further and further away. I had stopped saying my personal prayers. I had stopped reading my scriptures. I was just going through the motions of life and didn't pay attention to my surroundings. I'm not saying that I was doing anything bad, just forgetting the important things. I didn't rely on God anymore and definitely didn't thank him for the many things I had in life. This injury if anything, definitely woke me up to my senses! I began to look at life in a whole new perspective. Life now became a gift I cherished and thankful for each day. I realized how dependent I was on my Father in heaven. I realized that life was not all about me. That there were many others around who needed my help! That God had a plan for me to accomplish. This week was a hard one, because I saw so many people who were in my situation prior to my injury. Oblivious to what they are missing out on and what God has in store for them :/


Surgery Day
(on medication ;)
  The second thing that this injury taught me was that the power of prayer is real! I'm grateful for all the prayers that were on my behalf during the time while I was injured. I know without them I would not be where I am at today. There was one prayer that changed my life forever though. It was one of my own. I had blamed God for all that had happened and hardened my heart. I hadn't prayed in a long time, but for some reason one night had the prompting to pray as I layed in pain. I will NEVER forget that feeling as I offered a simple prayer for peace and comfort. A prayer I felt I didn't deserve to be answered. Well it was and I'm forever thankful for it. I felt God's presence as if he was by my side giving me a hug :) I never lie down for bed now without thanking my Heavenly Father for another day to live and serve his children! Prayer has become a way of life for me now. Without it I would not be the person I am today. I know that prayer is a two-way communication. That God not only hears our prayers, but answers them as well!  How grateful I am for the injury now and the MANY things I learned from it. I'm also grateful for the many prayers that are on my behalf today and everyday I'm out here! They truly lift me up and keep me going :) Thank you so much!

This past week I've felt so blessed :) Although it definitely wasn't perfect, I could see the Lord's hand in all that we did!

Sounds like all is well back home, so keep it up!!

LOVE Y'ALL!!
-Elder Parr

No comments:

Post a Comment