Monday, November 28, 2011

an Attitude of Gratitude

WOW!! This week has been an absolutely wonderful one! It was crazy because of transfers of course. Elder White left me last Monday evening and I was on team ups with Elder Smith who is serving in Eureka, Mt right now. We are both training this transfer and it was fun to spend a few days with him as we talked about our upcoming opportunity and what we could do to make it the best! Some things happened this week that led my mind to what I learned yesterday at church!
Yesterday at church I learned that we must not dwell on all the things we don't have or wish we had in our lives but to be grateful for what we DO have! Then, to give thanks to Heavenly Father. It's far too easy to forget what we have when all we do is think about what we don't have. So I learned I need to have an attitude of gratitude :)
This first experience happened while I was with Elder Smith and Bishop down in Pablo. It's the rougher part of the reservation here. We were helping clean out some trailers to get a couple into one and the one we were getting some stuff out was just TRASHED. There was stuff all over the place and just not somewhere I would like to stay. Then it hit me that someone actually had lived there. This was all their stuff before they had to leave. They lived here. I know we have some control of our circumstances but these people, whatever there circumstance was, I'm sure struggled to even keep this place. It made realize how thankful I am for the places I grew up and even in the home I live in now! I'm grateful that I don't have the biggest room or biggest kitchen because I have what I need to survive and be protected.

Elder Parr and Elder Smith Polson Turkey Trot 2011

Of course Elder Smith was a cross country runner back in high school so we showed up early Thanksgiving morning at about 8 am to run in Polson's Turkey Trot. This experience helped me be grateful that I have a healthy body in which I can run and breathe and help others! I will say I haven't run that far since the freedom run when I was like 10 probably Haha. WOW! Regardless, I was determined to finish the race no matter how long it took me. Well, I finished in 25:15 which was insane! The best part of it all was that we did it in our white shirts and ties :) Good times!

Elder Scott - New Companion

After the turkey run we picked up our new elders from the bus stop! Elder Scott is my new elder I'm training! He is from Robinson, Illinois and the middle child of 5 children! I love him so much and I can tell he has definitely prepared to be an instrument in the Lord's hand! He has taught me sooo many things and I'm going to LOVE this transfer! After we picked him up we spent awhile playing basketball with one of the kids in the ward which was fun. Followed with 3 dinner appointments for thanksgiving! OOOOWEEEEE! Last place we asked if we could just eat dessert because we had soooo much food already and were stuffed!
Haha! It was great to spend Thanksgiving with people who I've come to love! I'm grateful there are so many people here that will allow us into their homes and families!
We had another baptism this weekend which was wonderful! 
All in all last week has been GREAT and I can't wait to see what this week has in store for us! I received the Kringle which was a surprise! Opened our fridge one morning and BAM! There was Kringle! I was SOOO excited :) Thank you so much! I've definitely been sharing it :) hehe I love and miss y'all! Hope y'all have a GREAT week! Hope you enjoy the pictures I've attatched!
Love,
 Elder Parr

No comments:

Post a Comment