Friday, November 19, 2010

Things that matter most.

Monday, November 15th.

First off Montana is, I must say, the second best state! Texas, of course, is the best but Montana is growing on me and is SOOO beautiful!

We're at...
852 Ponderosa
Hamilton, Montana
59840

So send stuff here if you're going to send anything! Thanks :) If it went to the other place no biggie we just get to ride our bikes over there because we're on bikes!!! President Gardner told us in the mission home that everyone has a car and I got here and we're like the only ones WITHOUT a car! Actually, we get a car on Thursday but just one day of the week! heehee. So I guess we do have a car! :)

Funny story ... so we're on our bikes. And in Montana at night it gets PITCH BLACK! Y'all haven't seen dark yet, I'm telling you! Well, we were on bikes and of course and it gets dark outside at about 6 here. And of course were still out working and teaching lessons but we were on our way home from our last lesson and were pretty much riding braile on this road! We can't see a thing! But once you go off the road a bit it goes to gravel so we just stayed on the right side and followed the flat blacktop! haha, it was so crazy and fun! Then Bro Laraway, the family were living with, was driving down the road and saw us and stopped and was like "what are y'all thinking?!" haha and we just told him we were going home of course and thanked him for picking us up! haha he was like, "y'all are going to get run over out here like this! I'm going to take y'all to the bike shop tomorrow and buy y'all lights for your bikes"! So the next day he took us to the shop and got us these sweet lights! They stay solid or flash and TOTALLY make it a ton easier to see the road to get home at night and I guess so people can see us! hahaha. Guess not best story to tell you about my safety but were set now!

The Laraways are awesome! Such a nice couple! They have kids but they are all moved out or at college! We will be staying with them til about Dec 14 probably and then her daughters are coming in town for Christmas and we have to get our hineys out of there quick! But we stay in the bottom in their basement! Soo AWESOME! It's like our own place pretty much! It has a wood burning stove; which is soo cool! I never had to make my own heat like that before. It's pretty fun! Every morning we wake up and throw wood in and fire it up! It's just a REALLY nice place to stay! Lots of land and BEAUTIFUL view! Every morning I eat breakfast and I just gaze at 2 mountain ranges out the window :) You will see pictures soon enough! But yes very nice people who feed and shelter us well!

My first Sunday here was AMAZING! The people here are SO nice! I fit in just well! I have so much in common with so many people here! Almost remember the hundreds of people i've met so far! They are so sweet here! We get fed like EVERY day, no joke! And there are 2 restaurants in town owned by members that let us eat for free! Greek Gyro's is owned by Sister Horsely where we can eat once a day for free and Moose Creek where we can eat once a week for dinner so we get fed SO much here! But don't worry. I haven't gained a pound! Actually, I found a bench and barbell and weights in Bro Laraways barn so in the morning I go lift weights or go outside and jump my rope in like the 20's!! It's what I call dedication!

My first Sunday (we actually cover 2 wards) we had 5 investigators come to church with us! The work here is ON FIRE, no joke! Might have a baptism this weekend and at least 2 baptismal dates set up! We teach so much and the members are so active and willing to help with whatever which helps us out tremendously!

I'm just loving getting to know everyone here and talking to everyone! We were riding our bikes and this older man was cutting his grass on his john deer and I rode over to him and asked him if he wanted help and he said no but I picked up a few leafs and stuck them in a bag and told him to have a nice day! haha I love talking to everyone! Today I took my watch to some pawn shop for a new battery and we ended up talking for like an hour haha great stuff!

After church they had what they call a "linger longer" and I was like what in the world is that! That's what they call a potluck! hahaha! It was delicious and I met so many more people there! They are much more casual here with dress church it's so funny to see what people will wear. It's a lot easier on our investigators though because they don't feel so out of place.

This one kid, though his dad was just baptized last week, he is inactive. And I've got to know him. We bribed him to come to church by 2 root beers! :) The Laraways got ALL this soda for us in boxes (or that they had) and we don't drink it so we bribe him with it! I'm doing everything to get him active again.

OH! My companion and trainer is Elder Miner! He is soo awesome! JUST like me! Everything I do he does too! It's so crazy! We're so close already and finishing each others sentences! So good to have a great trainer! I don't have to worry about learning the ways because he is teaching me for sure! Soo awesome!

I'm learning so much about hunting and stuff here! haha Last night we went with Bro Hawks to his gas station he owns, which is awesome, and in the car wash he pulled out a hot dog cooker and filled it up and one of the young men and his dad came over and we put this frozen deer head in it to boil the meat and fur off to do a European mount with is just the skull on the wall. Nothing else. haha That's every ones favorite up here pretty much! Brother Hawks doesn't go hunting on Sundays. I told him i'm going to come back up to go hunting! He traps mountain lions and I told him I'm going to come back and trap one with him so I can have the fur in my den! hahaha!
Basically, Montana is AMAZING and I'm loving EVERY second of it! I've learned so much since I've been here and already seen how the gospel blesses people's lives even more! It's such a joy to see the change in peoples lives! do me a favor and look up the conference talk of things that matter most by Dieter Uchtdorf! Apply it to each of your lives! I've learned so much from that talk as I've applied it in my life!

Of Things That Matter Most - President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tell everyone thanks for their support!

Love, Elder Parr

No comments:

Post a Comment