Monday, October 8, 2012

Hmmmm...

I do have a few things I would like to share with y'all!

So I was on team-ups in Corvallis with Elder Smithson. He is the greatest and reminds me of Preston :) So you can only imagine how much fun I was having :) Met LOTS of people walking around the small town and had a decent day. So as the sun was setting and the town was getting quite we were walking down some street heading for the alley when all of a sudden we hear, "By the power of the holy ghost! whoooaaoeeo!" I notice that behind us, kiddy-cornered across the highway were a group of about 3 teenagers who were the ones shoutin' and thinkin' they were havin' some fun. So I just yelled back, "WOOOHOOO!" and we kept walkin' and didn't think much of it since it happens all the time. As we walked though, I had the impression to go back, so we did! By the time we could see where they were previously, they were all walkin' inside. Perfect I thought. Can't run away now ;) So we knocked on their door and we found out who had yelled and then invited the rest of the guys out but only one other person came out. Of course you're probably thinkin' right now that I lined 'em up and gave 'em a little lesson huh? Well sort of, but not a physical lesson. We shared what we were out doing and how we could help them. We talked for a good 15 minutes but they ultimately said they weren't really interested. So I asked, "Well, what buddies do you have that you could send us to to prank 'em by sending us over there?" Of course they thought of someone immediately and gave us directions and said, "He is atheist and be sure you tell him we sent you." Off we went and came to the house where their buddy lived. We began to walk the steps up to the second floor apartment and realized there were two boys at the top, just sittin' and talkin'. We introduced ourselves and got to know them a bit. The greatest thing was that their buddy really wasn't "atheist". He believed in God as well as his buddy. They both described their rough lives at home and how their families are split and just fallin' apart and somehow we talked about the role prayer has played in their lives. They both said it played a great deal when things were rough and not well. So I asked, "How about when things are well? How is it then?" They said they usually didn't pray when things were well. So I asked, "So say you have a friend, and this friend only comes around when he needs money, or a ride somewhere or what not. How do you respond to him?" It was fun listening to their responses. "I tell him to get lost," said one. "I just sit him down and tell him how it is and that I would love to help, but he needs to do something himself." I then responded and said, "How does that apply to us and our prayers to God?" They were silent and said, "I've never thought of it that way." Anyways, we went on to have a great discussion about our relationship with God and how it needs to be a daily process, not just when times are rough. Moral of the story, ALWAYS follow the promptings of the spirit, and NEVER be afraid to share what you know with others. I've found, it's usually EXACTLY what they need :)

So we had to walk about 2 miles to get to our car from there, since it was time to go in. Well we get to the car and I check my pockets and no car key. Of course I begin by sayin' my favorite line, "I'M AN IDIOT!" haha Searched the church and no signs of the key. (It was just a single key) I begin to think, "We've been walkin' around all day, I have no idea where that key would be, I'm going to have to buy a new key which will take weeks to get, the elders won't have a car (It was the other elders vehicle), and we're going to be so late back home! I'M AN IDIOT!" Then I thought about the lesson we just had with those two boys. Well I was in need and I needed His help more than ever now. So I got Elder Smithson and we said a prayer together. I don't remember what we said exactly, but I'm sure something along the lines of, "Let us find the key, God." Well it was pitch black outside by now and we had walked along a 2 lane highway all the way back. We managed to discover that our cellphone had a flashlight on it which for some reason was SUPER bright! We began to walk with faith we would find the key. Just 5 minutes later we both saw the key and Elder Smithson grabbed it and jumped for joy! Immediately we bowed our heads and gave thanks for the miracle that we both experienced, as cars were flyin' by on the highway. I know God is in the details of our lives and is willing to show His hand in our lives as we invite and look for it :)

Lastly, Conference was AMAZING! The words of the prophet and apostles filled my soul. I loved how so many were focused on becoming better disciples of Christ and becoming truly converted to Christ, as well :) I have made some resolutions to do a little bit more each day!
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2012/10?lang=eng

I love y'all so much and am so excited to hear that all is well and sure hope y'all enjoy your day of celebration today while y'all are off of school and other things! I got to celebrate Canada Thanksgiving last night after conference which was GREAT! I'll tell y'all more later :)

LOVE Y'ALL!
-Elder Parr

No comments:

Post a Comment